Sunday, July 24, 2011

My thoughts on Chapter 4 - Problem Solving for McHarg

After reviewing all of this, I thought about how this applies to us.  I began a “google” search on problem solving and found some interesting articles (some on PS, some not) which made me think about what we could accomplish through collaboration.  Included in many of them was information on RTI (Response to Intervention)  and ICT (Instructional Consultation Teams) .  

 RTI is about interventions – finding the most effective intervention for a child in an effort to help him or her learn with success.  With our sped identification, we label according to what a test says, not whether or not the instructional interventions are working.  Is that effective?  My belief is all children can learn - at the right time, with right tools, in the right environment.  When children are tested, they are removed from the class, tested with a stranger and completed on someone else's time.  Wow!  
So, I would rather depend on early, appropriate, evidence-based interventions to support our students - not the tests given when and how it is convenient for someone else.  Our discussions about how our children are learning best, are going to be very powerful!  I feel that through our collaborative teams, we will be able to take the time to examine our procedures/strategies/programs/techniques more thoroughly and collect data as to which children are or are not responding.  If a child is not progressing, what other technique, approach, etc… can we implement  to help him or her?   According to Albert Einstein, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  If what we are doing is not producing adequate results, teams can problem solve and hopefully find solutions all in an attempt to help all children learn!  Check it out:Description: http://i.brainyquote.com/i/t.gifhttp://www.nasponline.org/resources/principals/nassp_probsolve.aspx
I have also contacted RU’s T/TAC and inquired about their assistance with ICTs.  I believe we are very capable of creating successful teams, but would love to have some support so that we have someone to ask questions of.  I will keep you posted. 
In the meantime, I am developing an agenda for our August 1st get together.  It will focus on our Mission, our goals, what we value, what we want to happen (plan), Team Ground Rules, Team Roles, and  Problem-Solving Techniques.  I am looking forward to collaborating with you!  Ellen

6 comments:

  1. "Wait to Fail"makes me so sad. I know we can keep this from happening if we work together and hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (sorry I hit the wrong key) an intensive care form - documenting interventions and assessments implemented. Then include suggested interventions, maybe even including the RTI tiers. Along with that would be a timeline that the team would begin to keep track of. All of this could be completed in CPT with the team. I have asked the reading teachers to help me design that form. What do you think? I no longer want to go to testing if we have not thoroughly examined what interventions we have implemented, what is or isn't working, and what progress has been made as seen on a timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops - I must have lost the beginning so here it is - You are right - we can not wait. We must act quickly like a shepherd with his flock, quickly herding back any strays. But we must be diligent in examining what we are doing. Therefore, I want

    ReplyDelete
  4. The students will really benefit from our focus on monitoring their learning and trying new strategies when something isn't working. I agree that it's imperative to document the interventions and assessments as well as student progress on a timeline. Sometimes it's hard to notice their baby steps until progress becomes visible on a timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always so reluctant to make a referral. If we can put our heads together and come up with a plan or strategies to try, I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the more we move toward developmental approaches of intervention with kids that this is all very possible. This is what is needed for meeting the needs of developmentally delayed anyway, especially since for all intensive purposes we have lost that label.

    ReplyDelete