Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chapter 3 - Thoughts

Chapter 3 was a big chapter dealing with the operation of an effective team.  One of the points that speaks to me is the cardinal rule of parity among team members.  It is very important that we view each other as equals.  You can learn from me AND, more importantly, I can learn from you.  When team members are willing to learn, all members will gain.  Parity - my new word of the day!

 Here's what I would like feedback on:

1.  The team facilitators are Dobson, Anderson, Myers, Wheeler, Keister, DDeHart. I feel a need to meet with them prior to the first Common Planning Time.  I am thinking I would like to schedule a work session with them the workweek.  I know many of you are following along, but some are not and I would like to distribute the information to everyone and I could do this through a meeting with the facilitators, first.  What do you think?

2.  Do we make universal ground rules (during the facilitator's meeting)that all teams are to follow OR do we allow each team to establish their own? 

3.  Do we utilize universal agenda forms (deciding during the meeting) or does each group design their own?

I look forward to your feedback!
Ellen

14 comments:

  1. Regarding questions 2 and 3, I would at least like universal ground rules and agenda forms for my grade level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think universal ground rules and agendas for all teams to start with is the way to go. Because the structure of these team meetings is new for all of us (I think we all "grew up" with staff meetings being the place where information is given out, and the teachers finally get a chance to socialize.) Then, after the first few months, each team can tweak the rules and share these ideas with the other teams.
    I think many of us are used to being the solo boss in charge of our own students, so a universal structure will help us learn to share our students, and will help all the teams in our building reach that goal together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think some ground rules for getting started are needed but with the ability of the group to be flexible with in that structure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the facilitators should meet during the work week.
    And at first, I think each team needs the same ground rules and agenda form. Then as we get going, we might want to tweak them to better suit our team. I see this as a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a good idea to meet the first week Ellen. I have no problem with ground rules but I think we need to be flexible. What works with one team may not work with the other. And as the year progresses I hope that we can share with other teams what we are doing to get ideas from each other.
    (also, I am back....I thought I was following but I guess not, kind of out of it this summer!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Universal rules sound like the way to start. Since this will be new to all, it seems like we at least need it as a 'framework' - then ease into what feels right as a team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from question 1., I know many of you are following along,... I would like to distribute the information to everyone...
    I just wanted to say Thanks Ellen:) it's nice to be in the know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also agree that you need universal ground rules but you also need to have some flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also agree that it would be helpful to begin with universal ground rules and agendas, and that it would be wise to revisit the procedures periodically and tweak if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As far as question #2, I do feel we should start with universal ground rules. But I do also feel that some flexibility within the different groups would be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also in favor of some consistency with the groups. Since this is new to all of us, some common guidelines seem like the way to go. Excited to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the universal ground rules and forms would be beneficial for all teams. This model is something new for McHarg and it would be helpful if we were consistent across the board, since some folks will serve on more than one team.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do believe ground rules are needed and would be very helpful to all. I agree that facilitators do need to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Organization is essential to these unchartered waters. I feel the ground rules will be most beneficial.

    ReplyDelete