Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Overview of Collaborative Teaming

Collaborative teaming – two or more people working together toward a common goal. 
What’s our goal?  I do believe we need a common goal and I have faith, that together, we can develop it.  Actually a mission, vision, values, etc…My thoughts are that my mission is that all children learn.  My vision focuses on children being proficient readers and master mathematicians as they leave McHarg.  Proficient readers would be a student reading independently at level M.  Mastery of math would be adding and subtracting 2 digit numbers with and without regrouping.  Are those expectations too high?  What are your thoughts?

Collaborative teaming – Two or more people working together toward a common goal – sounds simple, but really not that simple.  Working can mean setting goals, identifying problems, assessing students’ needs and skills, exchanging info. , brainstorming, problem-solving, reviewing data, developing data driven instruction, reaching consensus, etc…
Working together means that positive interdependence exists among team members who agree to pool and share resources and rewards and to operate from a foundation of shared values – help each other, lend support.

According to the book Collaborative Teaming, by Martha E. Snell and Rachel Janney, Here is what the research says:
DeBoer and Fister (1995-96) defined six core characteristics of collaborative teaming:
  • 1.      Collaboration is based on mutual goals determined by the entire team, which builds commitment from the beginning. 
  • 2.     Collaboration requires parity among participants – equality among team members.  Each member’s contributions and role in decision making are valued!
  • 3.     Collaboration depends on shared responsibility for participation and decision making, but is not identical for all members – must consider particular skills, work and team roles, etc…  Our participation does not look the same, but needs the same level of commitment!
  • 4.     Collaboration requires shared responsibility for outcomes – successes and failures.
  • 5.     Collaboration requires that participants share their resources – including information, skills, equipment, materials, etc… (I think this one is a little scary for some!)
  • 6.     Collaboration is a voluntary relationship in which no one can be mandated to engage in – it is a learned/practiced skill. 
Transdisciplinary teams – teams that include members of multiple disciplines whose approach involves agreement that the multiple needs of students are interrelated and their coordination of effort is essential. 

Role release – Allowing yourself to be a teacher and provide your team member valuable information and insight as well as being a learner and listening to your team member to increase your own knowledge and enhance your skills.  For example… when needed, I can be the special ed. teacher to our students and my team member can take the role of classroom teacher.  It is so “freeing” to allow yourself to be both – a teacher, facilitator, leader, etc…  and a learner, listener, follower, etc..!  Be open minded to accepting new, different, creative ideas from others!

Dual focus of Teams:
To collaborate, teams need to maintain a dual focus – 1.  Keeping an eye on the goal (students) and keeping an eye on themselves (the team). 
The student(s):
  • ·        Developing the schedule/program
  • ·        Designing needed accommodations, adaptations, assessments, instruction
  • ·        Ensuring consistency, coordination, quality among staff implementing the plan
  • ·        Problem-solving issues
The team:
  • ·        Understanding members roles and talents
  • ·        Getting over the “I have to know everything” phenomenon
  • ·        Exploring individual values in order to identify values common to the team
  • ·        Communicating effectively – learning to communicate with team members
  • ·        Addressing issues
  • ·        Reaching consensus
  • ·        Developing trust

Each chapter will now address the six components of collaborative teaming:

1.     Building team structure
2.     Learning teamwork skills
3.     Problem-solving and action planning
4.     Coordinating team action
5.     Teaching collaboratively
6.     Improving communication and handling conflict

Thanks for joining me!  Ellen

6 comments:

  1. I believe your vision of students leaving McHarg reading independently on level M and with mastery of addition and subtraction with regouping are reasonable, basic expectations. We just have to remember the how and when of that mastery occurring will vary a lot.
    The concept of collaboration as described in this book sounds daunting with a big learning curve. Learning to collaborate while maintaining our individuality may take a lot of risk taking and practice. I'm adopting a positive attitude about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your goals for math and reading.
    I do think that a scary part of collaboration is that most of us are used to interacting with our colleagues during meetings, but then being the only grown-up in our rooms once the students arrive. We all know how to communicate, but this collaboration will have us work to reach a whole new level of communication. Yes, Gloria -- I do think risk-taking will be a part of this, as well as trust. But, I am excited to learn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with the goals for leaving McHarg. I think those are reasonable expectations for most of our kids.

    Collaboration is a scary thing. It takes letting go of some ownership and/or territory. It takes trusting colleagues to be responsible for what we have thought of as OUR charges (ie. children) Letting go of that control will be a challenge for me. Not that I am a control freak or anything. (be quiet Kelly Wheeler) However, I have teamed with some awesome people through my career and I have seen/experienced it working well for where we were at that point in time. One time during my grad studies a professor came to observe and she told me in my post conference that she could not tell who was the speech path and who was the teacher. I think what we are embarking on now is along those lines but even more progressive. Honestly, I am scared but I believe it can be done. Trust, honesty and relationship will be HUGE!!! Maybe taking some thick skin pills and being willing to make mistakes in front of the other grown ups in the room. (I myself, don't like to make mistakes! Be quiet Kay Ellerman!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collaboration is an exciting way to meet our student's needs. It allows all the insightful professionals at McHarg to work together. I believe we are a very special place where extremely talented people now get the opportunity to team up to analyze, discuss, and strategize about our students. Wow, I am excited and overwhelmed. I believe, a times, we will have challenges, growing pains, and be stretched, but I can't think of a better group of people to grow with. As in any family, there will be some headaches and struggles, but I believe we can overcome these and grow together. Truly, Together we can accomplish more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, I think we can get those second graders reading level M. And as we gently guide them there, we won't lose sight of the whole child. We will help them want to be lifelong readers and learners and we want them to continue to wonder about their world.
    I'm excited about our team plan time every six days. We'll learn so much from each other and the children will benefit. It will be great to leave the meeting knowing who is going to do what, and with what children.
    We're going to be so good, I look for Sixty Minutes to come and do a piece on McHarg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post made me smile Renee. I am certain that McHarg will be Sixty Minutes worthy. What a great place!

    ReplyDelete